Thousands of LGBT Costa Ricans and their supporters took to the streets of San Jose on Saturday morning in what they called a March of the Invisibles to protest for the rights of marginalised people and to ensure the separation of church and state in the country.
The march was the culmination of an online campaign which saw 15,000 people sign a petition calling on the president of Costa Rica’s Human Rights Commission, Justo Orozco, to resign.
Orozco, an independent evangelical Christian MP, was appointed to the post as part of a deal to shore up his support for the governing coalition between the National Liberation Party and Access Without Exclusion Party.
The Commission is a panel within the Costa Rican Congress that decides which human rights bills will be given priority in the Congress.
Since Orozco joined the Commission it blocked a bill that would have given same-sex couples inheritance rights and recognition as couples for the purpose of pensions and other social security benefits.
Following the move Orozco told news media that he believed that homosexuality was a sin and a curable condition.
‘It is written in The Bible,’ Orozco said.
‘I have anecdotal proof. In the local churches here, I met one who was that way and who got straightened out.’
The march was joined by opposition lawmakers Carlos Gómgora, Carmen Muñoz and Manuel Monestel, who helped scrub the walls of Congress to symbolically cleanse it of corruption.
Earlier in June, Muñoz, who is also a member of the Human Rights Commission, described Orozco’s appointment as “bad taste,” saying he had no understanding of human rights.
Only the month before Orozco had voted against a motion declaring the Congress “free of homophobia.”
- nocturnalgreenkitten reblogged this from sakuraai
- mightypinkbunny reblogged this from sakuraai
- sakuraai reblogged this from imsorryfriendsimsorrylovers
- sakuraai likes this
- yourenchantingfairytale reblogged this from imsorryfriendsimsorrylovers
- imsorryfriendsimsorrylovers reblogged this from imsorryfriendsimsorrylovers
- urilgbtq reblogged this from projectqueer
- darkarcherprince likes this
- projectqueer reblogged this from qbits
- marchoftigers reblogged this from qbits
- naturallybent likes this
- qbits posted this