Good for her for standing up for her rights! Boo to the school for being petty and making her write her exams at the back of the room.
A TRANSGENDER pupil had to show her headmaster a copy of the Equality Act before he allowed her to sit a GCSE exam while wearing girls’ clothes.
Ashlyn Parram, 16, turned up for her first examination in tights, skirt and blazer — but was told by teachers to go home and change into the boys’ school uniform.
The furious teen printed off a copy of the law on sex discrimination, which includes specific legislation on the treatment of transgenders and transsexuals, and marched it straight to head Chris Wall’s office.
He admitted he could not ban Ashlyn — but teachers made her sit away from other pupils at the back of the sports hall at Giles Academy in Boston, Lincs.
Ashlyn — who used to be called Lewis — said: “I have never felt so bad about myself.
“It’s sad people can’t be more open-minded. I’ve lost a lot of friends because of everything I’ve been through. I really didn’t need to lose the support of my teachers.”
Ashlyn has lived openly as a girl at home for two years — but had toned down her appearance at school to avoid abuse. She had been spat at and hit in the street.
Her mum Miranda Johnson says Ashlyn — who was officially diagnosed with gender dysphoria — is a girl born in a boy’s body.
IT manager Miranda said: “The way Ashlyn has been treated by the school is just appalling. If Ashlyn had been black or disabled there would be uproar. She’s a vulnerable teenager who needs the support of her teachers, not their opposition. The way they’ve treated her is disgusting.”
The GCSE run-in is the last of a string of clashes. Earlier this year teachers insisted Ashlyn take part in swimming lessons with boys. They let her wear a surf top and change alone, but insisted she attend the lessons which Ashlyn found humiliating.
In another episode, her parents claim a senior teacher told them gender dysphoria “doesn’t exist”. And one female teacher was warned for imitating Ashlyn’s walk in front of pupils.
Ashlyn is on an NHS waiting list for hormone blockers to stop male characteristics developing. She said: “It’s still incredibly difficult to admit you are gay or transgender. It does horrific things to your emotions, but thanks to my family I am strong and determined to live my life the way I want.”
Miranda — who is recovering from breast cancer — and Ashlyn’s stepdad Graham, 43, have now lodged an official complaint over the headmaster’s conduct claiming discrimination because of Ashlyn’s gender and a failure to give her the correct support.
A school spokesman said: “Giles Academy is an Ofsted Outstanding school in a caring environment with robust equalities policies. The governing body of the Academy rejects all the allegations.”
- perilouspaddock likes this
- atlisgay reblogged this from qbits and added:
- thinkingofexcile reblogged this from fuckyeahsexpositivity
- possession-taking-over reblogged this from fuckyeahsexpositivity
- desertpetrichor reblogged this from fuckyeahsexpositivity
- bigmouthbigideas likes this
- idontknowwhattheinternetis reblogged this from fuckyeahsexpositivity
- winterwithpersephone reblogged this from marchoftigers
- loveleavesmarksonyoursoul reblogged this from fuckyeahsexpositivity and added:
- fuckyeahsexpositivity reblogged this from tranzfat
- intoperilousskies reblogged this from hope-for-a-better-asexual-future
- jaycereinhardt reblogged this from hope-for-a-better-asexual-future and added:
- hope-for-a-better-asexual-future reblogged this from qbits
- marchoftigers reblogged this from tranzfat and added:
- tranzfat reblogged this from marchoftigers and added:
- aquietjoy said: reminds me of making people sit at the back of the bus…
- xcoughsyrup likes this
- sirisles likes this
- qbits posted this